Monday, May 9, 2011

Concern For Safety

People ask me quite often these types of questions and make statements like the following:


"Aren't you afraid of working in 'dangerous' areas?" 


My answer? No.


"Aren't you concerned that someone will kidnap a "white girl" like yourself on the streets of Mexico?"
 
My answer?  No.


"I just don't know how you put yourself among these horrible things...I don't know how you do it!"


My response?  I don't.  It is God who is living through me.


Being a missionary you are a yielded vessel.  A vessel placing your entire trust in God for every need you could possibly have.  You trust in where God leads you and the events that occur. 
It requires you to run to what you may fear with no option to run away, which in turn makes you fearless. Many times it feels as if your back is up against the wall and there is no way out unless God moves on your behalf, which means you see the "impossible" manifest.  Then there are times things may appear to be dangerous.  These are in fact my favorite moments. 

Now, my attitude is not one that is foolish, naive or one to "conquer the world at all cost."  I take many wise precautions.  But it is in these moments that your greatest faith is exercised. A faith that must put confidence in God alone, not in self. A faith that must surrender, not hesitate. One that sincerely says like the psalmist, "But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands..." Psalm 31:14-15 

I have been surrounded by sexual perpetrators, drug cartels, addicts who have little sanity and the uncertainty of foreign countries.  I understand why most people would want to flee from surroundings like these , but I am called to them and I go with deep peace, not fear. I am called to confront evil.  I cannot and will not look at the perversion and the lack of human value and shrink back. I know what is in my midst, but I also know that the biggest danger is not on these streets, but when you step out of God's will and out of His protection.  That would be more dangerous than any worldly circumstance.


So am I concerned for my safety?  Yes.  But the truth is, we do not find our safety in a place of comfort. We find our safety in the will of God. 

Therefore, being in his will, I am safe.


"For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock."  Psalm 27:5

love,

~girl relentless~

No comments:

Post a Comment